Honestly, I have never ever made any cakes before. Cake making to me is a lot of work; the ingredients have to be measured; the eggs have to be beaten, pans have to be coated and many other endless things to do. The easiest way is to buy it from stores. There is no cleaning and messiness and the cakes always taste good. Until one day, I realized that my favourite childhood steam sweet potato cake that was once in the stores disappeared. They do not sell it anymore. This sweet potato cake layer with coconut milk has been my most favorite cake among many other. So I searched for recipe in the internet and tried to make it. This is the result of it. It looked good and I must say it’s not very bad for a first timer either.
The steam cakes are made of 2 layers: the orange layer is sweet potatoes and the white layer is coconut milk.
Sweet potato layer we need:
300 grams sweet potatoes
60 grams of corn starch
50 grams of rice flour
120 grams sugar
250 ml coconut milk
½ tea-spoon salt
Coconut milk layer:
150 ml coconut milk
5 table-spoon warm water
3 table-spoon rice flour
1 table-spoon corn starch
½ tea-spoon salt
Mix each of all the ingredients above.
- Use small tea cups and coat them with cooking oil.
- Steam or boil the sweet potatoes. When it’s done, peeled and mashed them. Add the entire ingredient to the potato. Use the fine mesh strainer, filter it. This is in order to get that smooth cake.
- Pour into the small tea cups filling only ¾ of it. Do not fill it to the brim; you won’t be able to add the white layer.
- Steam them till cooked for about 10 minutes.
- Then pour the white on top of it and steam again for another 15 minutes. When it’s done, take the cake out of the cups and serve.
The pancakes you see was from leftover. It tasted equally delicious.
*recipe source: Femina Magazine Indonesia